- Sunday 9am-Noon; Eastern
- AMC-8 Satellite, SRN-XDS
|Download Media Kit||Listen to MP3 Demo||Commentaries|
|Go to DirtDoctor.com|
Howard Garrett, The Dirt Doctor, has spent the past sixteen years establishing a leadership role in the natural organic marketplace. He has gained a significant following of people looking for information and advice about natural organic gardening, landscaping, pet health and care, pest control, and a natural way to live our lives.
A strong cultural shift has occurred in consumer purchasing – purchasing of natural organic products and services is now mainstream. Here are some trends:
- 65% of U.S. consumers are using organic products today (Organic Trade Association).
- About four in ten consumers consider organic claims at least occasionally when selecting a product to purchase for the first time. Also, four in ten shoppers indicate it is somewhat important for their primary grocery store to offer natural and organic products. (Food Marketing Institute)
- This year, almost half of the 91 million consumers who will be purchasing lawn care products will be making a natural organic purchasing decision. (Nat’l Gardening Survey)
- Twenty states have adopted laws requiring signs for public notification when pesticides are applied to lawns. Dozens of communities have also adopted policies barring or restricting the use of pesticides on school property, public ball fields and parks. (Scripps Howard News Service)
- Seven in ten Americans express some concerns about the health risks of pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and other chemicals used in food production. (Roper Public Affairs)
- “Today, thanks to the hoopla about the health benefits of organic food, even the most staid people are adding it to their daily menus.” (CNN Money)
Howard Garrett promotes an organic lifestyle by helping people with natural organic methods of landscaping, gardening, pet health and care, pest control and a natural way to live our lives. He has extensive experience in natural organic landscape design and consulting, with extensive experience in landscape contracting, greenhouse growing and organic product development. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Park Administration and Landscape Architecture from Texas Tech University in 1969. After a stint in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, he started his business career at Club Corporation of America where he was a laborer and assistant golf course superintendent. He is ISA certified arborist, horticulturist, broadcaster, photographer, public speaker, columnist and author.
In 1985, the birth of Logan, Howard’s daughter, was the turning point of his education into organics. By 1988, he had committed his entire career to the research, education and promotion of organics and natural organic practices. Organic techniques eliminate toxic poisons, are easier and more cost effective. People who understand the value of nutritious and non-toxic foods are listening and taking action in their daily lives.
In addition to leading the consumer market, Howard consults many corporations and cities in the use of natural organic techniques such as:
- Sabre Corporation – Southlake, Texas
- Tierra Verde Golf Club – Arlington, Texas
- Carrington Labs Headquarters and their 250-hectare aloe vera growing operation in Costa Rica
Howard hosts the popular Healthy Living and Growing radio show every Sunday morning from 9a-12p EST. His shows consistently attract significant audience and community support.
The DirtDoctor.com web site is an important destination for people looking for natural organic information and advice. It also includes the popular Dirt Doctor forums.
The Dirt Doctor has thirteen books in publication. Some of his books are:
- The Organic Manual, Natural Gardening for the 21st Century
- Dirt Doctor’s Guide to Organic Gardening
- Dear Dirt Doctor
Howard Garrett is the President of the Texas Organic Research Center (TORC). TORC provides research, information and education about natural, organic techniques. TORC is one of the only organic educational institutes in the United States today.